EXPAT PARSER - Php to Xml parser
The Expat parser is a non-validating (which means it works whether a DTD is associated to document or not), 'event-based' parser. Event-based means it focuses on xml content, not on structure (as tree-based parsers do). An Xml file is analyzed as a list of events: when an event happen, a specific function is called for handling it.
In example, we have the following xml code:
<address>Carnaby Street 45</address>
The code above implies 3 events:
- Start element: address
- Start CDATA, value: Carnaby Street 45
- Closing element: address
Even if Expat is a non-validating parser, xml document must be well formed.
How it works
- Using php, Expat is initialized
- Then, functions for handling xml file events are created.
- Define which elements (events) should be parsed when parser encounter them into xml document and which not.
- An Xml file is loaded for parsing
- xml_parser_free() function is called to release the memory allocated with the xml_parser_create() function
Then, Expat parser produce a human readable output.
Download: No download needed as XML Expat parser is part of the PHP core (versions 4+).
Reference source: http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_xml_parser_expat.aspSubmitted by: Stuart